Tostadas are the crunchy version of tacos. They are topped with delicious meat of your choice and all the toppings you could want. You name it, salsa, pico de gallo, avocado, sour cream, queso fresco, cabbage, lettuce, there are literally so many options. That is what makes a lot of Mexican dishes customizable and sooo yummy!
These tostadas will be topped with shredded chicken soaked in tomato sauce. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. Again, feel free to add any meat of choice. I create other versions with left over carne asada (skirt steak) and ceviche (seafood salad) in the summer months. You can probably add anything to a tostada and get away with it.
Ever try a breakfast tostada with beans and an egg scramble? Yum! That one will be next!
Tostadas - Shredded Chicken
Tostada Tomato Sauce
My tomato sauces are fairly similar. It’s just my style. It’s no surprise that tomatoes play an important role in my recipes, but I think they play an important role in all Mexican cuisine. Maybe that’s just me. This sauce is a basic tomato sauce incorporating tomatoes, onions, garlic, and chipotle en adobo sauce. Quickly saute some onions and cook in a saute pan. It’s the same sauce I use in my Camarones en Salsa Chipotle.
Season with, no surprise, Knorrs Chicken Bouillon Seasoning. No, none of my posts are sponsored, but I do love me some Knorrs.
Add the shredded chicken and mix to coat. I always leave mine over low heat so the chicken continues to soak in the flavors.
Once the chicken is ready, grab your topping essentials. Number 1, grab your tostadas. I use the Guerrero brand, but any brand will do just fine. As long as it is a crunchy tortilla, you are golden.
Add a hefty amount of the shredded chicken mixture on top of each tostada. Top with any toppings of choice. I add a small amount of shredded cabbage, dollop sour cream over the top and sprinkle queso fresco all over the top. My mouth is watering all over again! Dig in!
If you have extra juice in the pan drizzle it over the top of the tostadas for extra flavor. =)
Love tostadas and tacos just as much as I do? Please show me! Tag @feasting_mexican on Instagram and @feastingmexican on Facebook.
Tostadas de Tinga
- 1.5 lbs Shredded Chicken sub recipe* linked in text, but any basic shredded chicken will be perfect
Tostada Tomato Sauce
- 1 lb Roma Tomato quartered
- 1 oz White Onion 1/4 of a small onion
- 1 Garlic Clove
- .5 oz Chipotle Chile en Adobo Sauce (~ 1 chile - can add more * see notes)
- 1 cup Water, Tap
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 5.6 oz White Onion julienne
- Tostada Tomato Sauce sub recipe
- Knorrs Chicken Bouillon Seasoning * see procedure and notes
- 1.5 lbs Shredded Chicken sub recipe
- Tostadas as needed
Optional Toppings Used
- Green Cabbage, shredded (thin sliced) as needed
- Sour Cream as needed
- Queso Fresco, crumbled as needed
- Create the shredded chicken sub recipe. You can use the one linked above in my post or any recipe will do. These tostadas also work great with left over chicken.
Tostada Tomato Sauce
- Blend the tomatoes, onion, garlic, chipotle chiles and water until almost smooth. Set aside until needed.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauce until translucent.
- Add the Tostada Tomato Sauce and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, begin to season with the Knorrs Chicken Bouillon. Start with .5 tsp increments at a time or less, and gradually add more as desired. (Seasoning is always to taste because of the variance in flavors of vegetables, etc - My sauce required 1 tsp)
- Add the shredded chicken and mix well to coat with the sauce. Lower the heat and allow the chicken to absorb the sauce and flavors.
Create Tostadas with Toppings
- Add desired amount of tomato shredded chicken onto of a tostada. Top with cabbage, a dollop of sour cream and a spoonful of quest fresco. Provecho!
- Shredded Chicken sub recipe is linked in text - you can use any shredded chicken recipe you wish, also great with any left over chicken
- Chipotle Chiles can be adjusted to preference in heat level - my husband prefers light heat, but these tostadas are great extra spicy
- Tostadas are Guerrero brand
- Toppings are optional - can top with whatever is desired