Blueberry Galettes are one of my favorite desserts. I guess galettes just in general. They taste like the perfect combination of sour and sweet. Baking them just brings out the sweetness of the berry even further. Blueberries are by far my favorite fruit to play around with. Blueberry bread, loafs, muffins, tarts, you name it! Right now, it’s all about the mini’s. Mini Blueberry Galettes. 🙂
Super simple, quick and delicious. These are the perfect party desserts, neighborhood gifts, or you could just bake a batch for yourself, and eat them all in one day. That is what I will be doing, fo sho. Winning!
You will need a recipe for pie crust or you could pick up a pre-made pack from your local grocery store. When I use pre-made, I always use Pillsbury Pie Crust. But I typically create my own dough from scratch. A Side of Sweet has a great simple dough recipe within her Lemon Tartlets post. I use the 1x scale for this recipe. It can also be used for tartlets shells (as she shows) and pies!
Blueberry prepping is simple but important because that’s all your dessert flavor. Give your berries a good wash and dry. Add to a mixing bowl and toss in the remaining ingredients. Mix them all until JUST combined. You don’t wan’t to over mix and risk the berries mashing up and losing their shape.
Also be sure to use FRESH lemon for your lemon juice and don’t skimp out on the lemon zest. It will make all the difference with the tarty sweet taste we are achieving here, trust me! That’s it, starting creating some magic. Recipe is below for all build instructions. 🙂
Mini Blueberry Galettes
- 1 Pie Dough Recipe or Pre-Packaged Pie Crust (2 crust) *see post above for link to
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice, Fresh
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1/2 lb Blueberries washed, dried
- 1 tbsp White Sugar
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Egg
- as needed Turbinado Sugar
- as needed Powdered Sugar
- Create the dough sub recipe or thaw out pre packaged pie crusts. Roll the dough to 1/8" inch thick. Don't lay out/roll out the dough too early (make sure all prep is ready so the recipe build runs smoother) or the dough will get sticky and hard to work with. If the dough does get sticky, freeze for 5-10 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment, set aside.
- Combine the blueberries, lemon juice, lemon zest, white sugar, brown sugar and cornstarch in a bowl.
- Once the dough has been laid out, cut the dough into 5" diameter circles (side of a small plate) and lay on the lined sheet pan. This should create 5 galettes with a little dough extra (you can discard the extra dough, save for other use, or create extra mini galettes.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of blueberry mix into the center of each circle. (Basically you want to evenly distribute the blueberry mix between all the dough circles). Fold the sides of the dough toward the center and slightly over the blueberries. Repeat until all galettes are created.
- Place the sheet pan of galettes in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Hardening the galettes a tad bit will help the berries from spreading the galette open in the oven.
- Beat the egg in a bowl. Brush the egg over the sides of the galettes.
- Sprinkle the turbinado sugar evenly over the folded dough part of the galettes.
- Bake until the edges are golden, about 30-35 minutes.
- Remove and cool at least 5 minutes before indulging. 🙂Sprinkle powdered sugar of the top as an optional topping.
- Be sure to freeze the galettes before baking off - it will help them maintain their form and the berries won't run off
- Don't lay/roll the dough out too early or it will get too sticky and hard to work with ; either have all prep ready for the recipe runs smooth or roll out after the blueberry mix has been created
- Prep time includes the time necessary to create the dough sub recipe (if not using pre packaged pie crust
- Cook time includes a 10 minute freeze of the galettes
- Some pre packaged pie crust may be left over - save for future uses or create bigger size galettes in order to use all blueberries and pie crust
Create these yummy Mini Blueberry Galettes?! Show me!
Be Sure To Tag:
Instagram: @ feasting_mexican
Facebook: @ feastingmexican
Pinterest: Feasting Mexican