Fun desserts are my new found obsession. Sweets and creativity has made my kitchen trial and tribulations all the merrier. I also strive to be the best freakin’ mom ever and that include cooking my son’s future little friends snacks and sweets! Yes, those are goals. Oh how they have changed over the years.
Rice Krispie Treats – a classic! ♥ My inspiration in shaping them into donut shaped goodies? My dear little niece and her donut themed 4th birthday party. This is probably the simplest recipe I have created to date. All you need is your very best Rice Krispie recipe, a donut mold, and any desired toppings.
Donut Rice Krispie Treats
Rice Krispies consists of butter, marshmallows, and rice cereal. Simple! Don’t worry, I share with you my recipe down below. And rather then shaping into a rectangle mold, you shape it around a donut mold pan. Just remember to lightly butter the mold so it easy to remove the treat. After that, it is all about cooling. This could take hours, depending not he environment. Where I live, it gets very hot and unless I have the AC on, things take forever to cool.
Finally, it’s all about decoration! What better to use then chocolate! I love chocolate, it’s a problem. Grab some good quality melting chocolate. My choice is Ghirardelli and I alternate between semi-sweet, bittersweet, milk chocolate, white chocolate, you know, all the chocolates. And because baking is not my forte, my melting technique consists of the microwave, and this recipe isn’t super advanced – I just want a little bit of chocolate flavor. Here is how lazy I am. Place a few pieces of chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and melt in 30 second intervals. Be sure to stir in between each heat. Taa daa!
Dip the donut treats into the chocolate and decorate with whatever your little hear desires. ♥
- Sugar Cereal
- Dried Fruit
- Chips – of any kind (chocolate, butterscotch, white)
Play and create some fun desserts? These super cute Donut Rice Krispies included?
Instagram: @ feasting_mexican
Facebook: @ feastingmexican
Pinterest: Feasting Mexican
Donut Rice Krispies Treats
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 12 oz Marshmallow 1 (12 oz) bag
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal (or rice cereal of choice - Rice Krispies Cereal used in this recipe)
- 2 oz Good Quality Baking Chocolate (Used: Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate) *
- as needed Sprinkles (Decoration/Toppings of choice) *
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add in the marshmallows, 1 cup at a time, and melt into the butter. Take your time, don't add all at once, it can get messy and crowded in the pot quickly. Continue this process until all the marshmallows have melted. Remove from heat.
- Add the rice cereal into a large bowl.
- Carefully add the melted marshmallow liquid into the rice cereal. Mix well with a rubber spatula.
- Lightly butter your donut pan. Evenly divide the Rice Krispies mix between the donut molds. Slightly push down so the mixture sticks together, but do not over smash or you will lose the airiness of a Rice Krispie Treat.
- Set aside and let them set and completely cool.
- Enjoy the treats as is, or decorate with chocolate and a variety of toppings.
- Melt a good quality chocolate of choice - I used bittersweet for mine, but semi-sweet, milk, white chocolate, etc... all work! Use any technique you wish - I am low maintenance and stick to the microwave method. Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each heat.
- Carefully dip the top part or one side of the donut treat.
- Sprinkle any topping of choice - sprinkles for me! Cute right? Enjoy!
- Use baking/melting chocolate of choice: I love Ghirardelli, but Bakers works great as well
- Use variety of choice: unsweetened, semi-sweet, bittersweet, milk chocolate, white chocolate, etc
- There can be many topping varieties - I used rainbow sprinkles, but you can top with chocolate sprinkles, additional chocolate chips, fun sugar cereal, fruit, etc! Go wild!
- Cook time does NOT include the amount of time it takes for the treats to set - that is included in the "resting time"; time of this may vary (especially on heat of the environment)
Like this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below and leave some thoughts below!
Don’t forget to subscribe to get email notifications of new Feasting Mexican recipes!
Note: This post contains affiliated links.